Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
So it seems God did come in 1937!! (Read 2921 times)
Terry

So it seems God did come in 1937!!
06/21/13 at 04:41:52

So it seems God did come in 1937!!

IP Logged

Terry

.... AND HIS SON HAS BEEN HERE SINCE 1991.
Reply #1 - 08/14/13 at 08:32:43

THE JESUS OF SIBERIA

Is Jesus alive and well and living in Siberia? Well, yes, according to the thousands of disciples of Sergei Torop,  the self-proclaimed son of God now known as Vissarion.

Kim Traill visits their remote self-sufficient community, which has become a retreat for people alienated by capitalist Russia.

Now they live a life devoted to a leader who forbids drugs, alcohol, cigarettes and even eating meat, and where women are encouraged to work in the home, while the men build their new community.

And Kim is granted a rare interview with the man himself… a former traffic policeman, who first revealed himself as the second coming of Christ in 1991.

Hear why Vissarion and his followers are convinced the world as we know it is destroying itself, but why their community will be saved.
Video or read transcript at
http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/42044995953/jesus-of-siberia

IP Logged

John M

A new place to begin

Re: So it seems God did come in 1937!!
Reply #2 - 08/16/13 at 11:18:27

Thanks for that Terry,

A few general observations, nothing definitive.

Vissarion has an other worldly look about him, in his mind he is speaking of the bigger picture, his followers seem to find his guidance useful. Interestingly guidance of that ilk always seems to be supreme guidance.

Of course any BK looking at that clip will immediately know why their way is better as will other elitist type groups that believe that they and they alone are the chosen ones.

I (self justification here) find that such elitism sticks in my craw yet the chosen ones who alone are "in the know" seem to have no trouble with that kinda thing. 

The art in the video seems to bear little resemblance to the more traditional Russian religious icons whose inspiration is for me has at various times been easy to access. I also find that some Russian architecture has a similar effect on me. I recall hearing of one icon so holy that even a rudimentary copy is believed to be as miraculous as the original. In this technological age no one seems to use Icons when going to war, though I have seen two boxers, each with a faith in God slug it out in the ring. Boxers can make good money - 10% of the income of a really good boxer is .. I'd better say no more...the sharper BK's will have already grasped the implications.  Smiley   

IP Logged

Terry

Reply #3 - 08/17/13 at 03:26:59

I tell my guitar students, whatever level of skill you have, even a simple piece played with real feeling and conviction will stand out, it's what separates the impressive performer/performance from the adequate.

So it is with "divinely inspired" leaders. Their charisma is essentially a core conviction, total absorption in their own worlds (self-absorbed) and ideas, combined with a projected sense of beneficence or an ability to articulate universals in their own way. They can then create and sustain a 'brand'   into which they draw others seeking the same, i.e.  seeking stability and something to have conviction in.
There's a common desire for a simple, decent life in a decent community surrounded by people who are not too "other" is the basis of many communes (Tolstoy was a famous founder of such experiments in Russia).

I also liked, in the report,  their post-hippie idealism being married to tradition and christianity. I noted the way each "follower' brought their talents which enriched the community, but giving all credit to the leader; another trait amongst such groups, even when the leader doesn't show up!

There's a big christian hippie commune here that shows up at various street fairs and markets in a converted double-decker bus which is a mobile cafe-kitchen selling healthy food. Nice people.

... I thought there was sweet wit in the Morgan Freeman video too.
« Last Edit: 08/17/13 at 04:37:54 by Terry »  

IP Logged

John M

A new place to begin

Reply #4 - 08/17/13 at 11:21:21

Terry wrote on 08/17/13 at 03:26:59:
I thought there was sweet wit in the Morgan Freeman video too.

I viewed for a few seconds and decided this one was not for me.

Terry wrote on 08/17/13 at 03:26:59:
They can then create and sustain a 'brand' into which they draw others seeking the same, i.e.  seeking stability and something to have conviction in.

Yes, BK ism is a brand - their offering of an infallible path of obedience to God in exchange for 10% of income is spiritual conveyor belt stuff. Happy to begin with the premise that they are entitled to tell others what to think and do, they like to impress. But when one looks closely at their ethics - their willingness to let the ends justify the means that the BK way fails. In Buddhism the study of ethics can be lengthy yet in BKism it does not exist. The serious pitfalls that can be present in thinking "if one can influence them they are fair game" do not occur to BK's. That the BK's are always no matter what right and those that have left the study are always no matter what wrong is cultish stuff. Both BK's and those they have harmed can swallow that one.

Here is a reliable list of BK's that I trust - and therefore you can trust!

1)

IP Logged

Terry

Reply #5 - 08/18/13 at 01:35:15

John M wrote on 08/17/13 at 11:21:21:
I viewed for a few seconds and decided this one was not for me.
So you missed the classic line that easily and equally could be used for BK beliefs
"Morgan Freeman doesn't have sex. When he smiles a baby appears in a field full of kittens".

You may not be up with the pop culture behind this little gem and why it also works as a satire on this forum (replace MF with DL).
1. Morgan Freeman became 'celebrated' or famous only after he was old.
2. He tends to play the wise old mentor, a god-like figure or a moral sounding board for any younger hero.
3. He actually played God in a couple of comedy films
4. His is a voice seen as having such authority when narrating documentaries that,  along with points 2 & 3,  one will believe anything is true just because he says it...
.. and more

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print